Equinix, Inc. the global interconnection and data center company, today announced the eighth phase expansion of its SG2 International Business Exchange™ (IBX) data center in Singapore. With a total capital investment of US$41.8M, this expansion will add 1,400 cabinets and 47,666 square feet of colocation space, bringing the total operational capacity of the data center to 6,300 cabinets.
Recently accredited with the prestigious BCA-IMDA Green Mark Platinum Award for Data Centers in Singapore, the SG2 facility is a high-power density and efficient data center specially designed for companies from the Cloud, content and IT industry requiring large deployments with metered power.
In a mature cloud landscape such as Asia-Pacific, demand for managed cloud and professional services is expected to increase as more businesses and enterprises migrate to the cloud. The expanded capacity of SG2 will address rising market demands for direct connect to leading cloud service providers – including Amazon Web Services, Oracle Cloud, Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud Platform – through Equinix Cloud Exchange™ (ECX). This enables businesses to do more in the cloud by providing secure, direct, and flexible network connections to a wide range of cloud service provides, whilst advancing the region's cloud market and the overall digital economy.
· Located strategically at dense data clusters in Singapore near the SEA-ME-WE3 and SEA-ME-WE4 cable landing stations, the SG2 facility is a high-power density site that targets customers from the cloud, content and IT industry.
· SG2 offers rich interconnection opportunities that support one of the largest cloud pods in Asia and many cloud service providers, as well as provides thriving and highly secure content, digital media, and enterprise ecosystems.
· Recognized for its commitment to driving operational efficiency, the SG2 facility was recently awarded the BCA-IMDA Green Mark Platinum Award for Data Centers, the highest green accolade jointly developed by Building and Construction Authority (BCA) and the Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) of Singapore. The data center is assessed by a performance based green building rating system, which covers performance efficiencies in areas such as energy, water and environment, with a significantly higher emphasis placed on energy performance of the site.
· This recognition marks a new milestone for Equinix to have all its data centers certified in Singapore – the SG1 facility is BCA-IMDA Green Mark certified, while the SG3 facility also received the same reputable BCA-IMDA Green Mark Platinum Award.
· Home to the Asia-Pacific Network Operation Center with Internet exchange points access to one of the world's three Global Roaming Exchange (GRX) peering points, SG2, together with SG1 and SG3, continue to serve customers with a broad range of network services from over 190 providers. Equinix's colocation facilities in Singapore are also business hubs for over 535 companies around the world.
· The SG2 expansion is the latest in a series of expansions across Asia Pacific, with other recent expansions in Melbourne, Tokyo and Hong Kong.
· In total, Equinix has 29 IBX data centers in Asia-Pacific. Today Equinix's total global footprint covers 179 IBX data centers across 44 markets.