Ruby Hsueh, Marketing & PR Manager, ASUSTOR
Data&StorageAsean: What are the benefits of cloud storage and how does cloud storage increase the IT capabilities of an enterprise/organisation?
Ruby: Cloud storage offers tons of benefits.
1. Accessibility: Stored files can be accessed from anywhere via Internet connection.
2. No Data Loss/Disaster Recovery: Cloud storage can be used as a back‐up plan by businesses by providing a second copy of important files. And with choices of RAID levels 0, 1, 5, 6 and 10, even when one HDD fails, we are still able to recover from other HDDs. It gives you many different kinds of protection of your data.
3. Cost Savings: Businesses and organisations can often reduce annual operating costs by using cloud storage; cloud storage costs about 3 cents per gigabyte to store data internally. And also, managing servers in-house is expensive. By outsourcing the cloud storage, you can save on a lot of HDD and maintenance costs.
With cloud storage, online data storage allows the company to share files efficiently within offices across the globe. In the past, we used to email files, but that didn’t work as well as new staff members are added. An inexpensive cloud storage provider can ensure everyone has the most up-to-date version of working documents. It helps the company manage the workflow, even as new employees and new clients get on board, and makes it possible for us to be a small team, despite the large geographical area we span.
Data&StorageAsean: How has cloud storage technology improved over the years?
Ruby: Cloud storage technology has certainly improved over the years. It becomes more and more user-friendly in the following ways:
1. More Than Just Storage - Nowadays we offer different functions that enhance the capabilities of a NAS. For example, one of ASUSTOR’s special applications, LooksGood, has a multimedia index featuring exquisite poster covers, smart sorting and efficient global search functions, supports multilingual subtitles and multi-channel audio output, allowing users to experience smooth 1080p high definition video playback via web browsers. Furthermore, enhanced smart database management provides global searches providing more speed and efficiency for users.
2. Stronger Functionality - NAS becomes more and more powerful over the years. We aim to create better, faster and more intriguing products. For example, our flagship models for 2017, AS6302T and AS6404T, utilise the new Intel Apollo Lake platform Celeron processor. Both models feature hot-swappable hard disks. These two new models provide better performance than previous generation ASUSTOR NAS models with RAID 1 read and write speeds of 216.14 MB/s and 218.25 MB/s. This is something remarkable thanks to the development of technology.
Data&StorageAsean: Is security still a major concern when it comes to cloud storage? Is the concern justified?
Ruby: Unfortunately, the answer is yes. However, in the wake of technological advancements, NAS has improved with innovative methods to cope with this issue. Taking ASUSTOR as an example, we created a multi-layered protection plan, which provides active protection for users’ network, system and data.
We have three layers and four main approaches in total. The outer-ring is “Network Attack Protection”, which includes Firewall and ADM Defender, which allows you to ensure the security of your system by deciding who has access to your NAS and who doesn't. ADM Defender's Network Defender function protects you from malicious attacks and prevents hackers from trying to access your NAS. Any client IP addresses with too many unsuccessful login attempts to your NAS within a specified time period will be blocked by Network Defender. On the second layer, there are “Access Control” (Permissions Management and 2-step verification) and “Secured Data Transmission” (VPN L2TP/IPsec Connection, SSL Certificate Connection and Auto Logout). On the inner-ring, the “Internal Data” provides MyArchive Offline Backup, AES 256-bit Encryption and Antivirus Software Protection.
We believe that your data deserves the best security. We offer military grade encryption and different backup plans, giving you the type of security and privacy that you require for your most confidential data.
Data&StorageAsean: Is cloud storage/backup still the top use case or main driver for cloud adoption?
Ruby: The main driver for cloud adoption is still cloud storage and backup. The expansion of mobile technology has undoubtedly contributed to the exponential growth in digital data, increasing the need for digital storage solutions. Many people now have multiple mobile devices and computers, and the need to backup and manage all their data across all their devices is quickly becoming a hot topic. A practical and cost-effective solution to these new challenges is NAS.
However, if cloud storage and backup are the only purposes, it won’t be any different from a hard disk or public cloud. Our users also pursue the private cloud storage service. The capacity of the cloud storage space can differ according to personal requirements. Users can centralise all the data they have scattered across all their devices and can access it at anytime, anywhere.
Having a personal cloud allows you to protect your privacy. Your NAS can be connected to your local network for private use or to the Internet. Even when it is open to the Internet, ASUSTOR NAS provides many layers of security features to keep your data safe and secure.
Data&StorageAsean: What is unique about your company's cloud storage offering(s)?
Ruby: ASUSTOR focuses on creating the best experience for our users. Besides the fundamental functions, cloud storage and backup, we offer more to make your data safe and your daily access to data easier.
ASUSTOR has utilised a new and innovative non-traditional design concept to create a new generation of network storage devices. ASUSTOR produces a versatile, flexible and customisable storage platform that has something to offer to all types of users. Users are free to create a unique and customised device according to their needs. In addition to the core storage features, ASUSTOR NAS offers an immense range of add-on functionality allowing users to discover the unlimited possibilities of NAS.
ASUSTOR offers other unique features to benefit our users too. WOW (Wake on WAN) allows you to enable all BAS services via the Internet, providing added flexibility for powering on/ off the NAS. This allows you to save power, extend the life of your NAS and hard disks, and lower your chances of being randomly hacked, ensuring data security.
Also, we offer flexible capacity expansion. Once storage space starts to fill up and the disks you started with are not enough, you can utilise ASUSTOR’s online capacity expansion function to easily swap out all your old disks for higher capacity ones without turning off your NAS. During the capacity expansion process, while your data is being transferred over to the new disks, you will still be able to access everything on the NAS. Moreover, you can also use the MyArchive function to create an unlimited number of MyArchive hard disks, effectively achieving unlimited expansion.